Statistics of the Italian language
- Its family is: Indo-European » Italic » Romance » Italian.
- Is the fifth most taught non-native language, after English, French, Spanish and German.
- Spoken by about 60-65 million people, primarily in Italy.
- Is regulated by “Accademia della Crusca”.
- Italian is ranked 19th on the “List of Languages by number of native speakers.” (in a near tie with Turkish and Urdu).
- Mostly spoken in Italy, but also in communities in Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Argentina, Brazil, the United States, Australia, Luxembourg and some places in Africa.
- It is not uncommon for Italian-speakers to also speak a dialect particular to the region where they live.
© 2007-2016 - All Rights Reserved