Spedini alla Romana
- 4 slices of white bread
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- flour for dredging
- 2 large eggs beaten
- vegetable oil
- 4 anchovy filets
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Place one slice of bread on working surface, then place 2 slices of prosciutto and 2 slices of mozzarella on top of bread and then place another slice of bread on top.
- Trim the crusts, cut in half forming 2 rectangles and place 2 toothpicks through each of the rectangular sandwiches to hold together. Repeat using other 2 slices of bread, mozzarella, and prosciuto.
- Dredge each spedini in flour then dip in egg, covering all sides.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Heat about 3 inches of vegetable oil in a large saute pan over high heat.
- Place spedini in pan and fry on both sides until brown.
- Place spedini in serving plates and remove the toothpicks.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add anchovy filets and sautee until anchovies are heated through.
- Pour anchovy sauce over spedini and serve.