Spaghetti with Meatballs
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 3 slices of Italian bread soaked in milk or water then squeezed dry
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of parsley, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil.
For the pasta:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, halved
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 28 oz cans of plum tomatoes with puree, crushed
- 2 basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 pound spaghetti.
- Combine all ingredients for the meatballs, except vegetable oil, in a bowl.
- Gently knead the mixture with your hands without squeezing it.
- When all the ingredients are evenly combined shape it gently into balls about 1 1/ 2 to 2 inches in diameter.
- In a saute pan large enough to hold all the meatballs in a single layer, heat up enough vegetable oil to come 1/4 inch up the sides.
- Add the meatballs and place pan in oven pre-heated to 450 degrees and brown on all sides.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt & pepper and water.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes then add meatballs.
- Continue simmering for another 1/2 hour.
- While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the spaghetti.
- Cook uncovered over high heat until Al dente.
- Drain pasta, put back in pot add some of the sauce to the pot and mix it up. Dish out pasta spooning meatballs and remaining sauce over top.
© 2007-2019 - All Rights Reserved