- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the saffron and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the rice is well coated and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the wine to the rice, and then add a 4 to 6 ounce ladel of simmering broth and cook, stirring constantly, making sure to wipe the sides and bottom of the pot clean as you stir, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is completely absorbed before adding more.
- After about 20 minutes begin to taste the rice. It is ready when it is tender and creamy, but still a little firm to the bite.
- Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and the Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese until well mixed. Transfer to serving plates and serve.
© 2007-2017 - All Rights Reserved