Spaghetti with Tuna and Anchovies
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 salted anchovies, filleted, soaked for a few minutes, and chopped, or 8 oil-packed anchovies, rinsed and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tuna fish packed in oil, drained - 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Hot pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh ripe tomatoes or whole canned
- Italian tomatoes
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and anchovies. Cover and simmer until the garlic begins to take on color, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tuna fish, parsley, and hot pepper flakes to taste. Cook for several minutes, breaking up the tuna with a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is the consistency of a marinara (all the tomato should be cooked down). If the sauce is dry, add a little water to loosen it up. Add salt to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and add the spaghetti. Cook until it is al dente. Drain and add to the sauce. Toss well and serve.
© 2007-2016 - All Rights Reserved